Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Gaming? Is it beneficial? (No. 37)

I like being able to access games at the library. My home computer is so old that most modern games that I like to play, like the newly discovered WordSplay, would never be able to load on it in time for me to play the game.

Games have always been a way that people learn. Strategies that began in war have been applied to real-time physical gamefields, just look at American football, soccer, and baseball. Games force the mind to look at problems in different ways.

Computer games are no different. Being able to watch the screen, analyze a situation, formulate a response and then apply it helps the mind be able to multi-task. The immense variety of games that are available to the public via the internet enables people to test their skills and minds in new ways.

I just found wordsplay today and I really like it because it is just like boggle, which I totally enjoy, but can't people to play with me. The rules are simple and it was very easy to jump in the game and compete. No, I wasn't the best but boy was it fun. I like Boggle and therefore WordSplay because it forces my eyes to seek patterns (familiar words) and new words.

I also see the drawbacks, losing oneself in the game, playing for hours instead of minutes and eyestrain. But I always have hope that I will lean new things and new ways of solving problems.

No comments: