Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Publishing Evolution 82 Print on Demand

1. I have not read any of the titles that I purused both through the website bookstores or through Horizon.  Yes, the price is higher than it normally would be, but I am confident that it is due to the limited printing runs.  Might I read some, sure.  I have read vanity press (aka self-publilshed) releases before, so I do not think that I am a publisher-snob, but

 

2.  There is something missing from a self-published book: The Editor.  Writing a novel is often a long, tedious process.  (Even writing a blog can be a chore.)  Having the right editor onboard can turn a book from a dull piece of glass at least into a shiny clear gem (if not a diamond).  Without that extra body reading the work and injecting constructive criticism into the process, a writer's work can get lost in itself.  I have seen passages that made absolutely no sense no matter how many times I read it and simple errors that could have been caught by a professional reader. (But I have also seen errors in traditionally published books as well.)  Other than that, I really do not care how a book got published, only that it is well written and does not make me cringe as I am reading it. (Unless 

No comments: