Saturday, March 14, 2009

exercise 54

Books, Readers and Beyond: Exercise 54:  Social Networking Through Books

 

Exercise One

I am currently a member of the North Channel Book Club, which is an in-person book discussion group held at our county library branch on the fourth Wednesday of the month.  So far, it is the only experience that I have with a book club.  I enjoy the face-to-face discussions of the books that we read.  I am going to try out the online Teen Book Club this summer and plan to try out some more online book clubs.

Exercise Two

 

Since my library already has an active book club meeting here, I was thinking of starting a young adult book club.  I think it would be interesting to read and discuss the books that teens are reading these days.  I would like to have two versions of it: in person and bulletin board style available online.

 

As far as a book for the Book Club that meants now, I chose "the Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield.  (http://www.readinggroupguides.com/content/index.asp#)

 

For the teen club, I would like to start with "Shades of Simon Gray" by Joyce McDonald. (http://www.teenreads.com/guides/shades_of_simon_gray1.asp)


Exercise Three

The ratings for "The Thirteenth Tale" was similar on Shelfari and GoodReads.  Of course, the way that the ratings are presented are a little different, but overall similar.  There are good reviews and bad, and discussion.  I like the break down of information GoodReads provides. Shelfari shows the editions and whether or not "I should buy this." 

 

(But my favorite thing is the neverending literary quiz on goodreads.  It is soooooooo cool.)

No comments: