Monday, March 2, 2009

Exercis e 52


Books, Readers and Beyond

 

#52  What to Read

 

Exercise 1--I like to read Suzanne Brockmann novels(It's my guilty pleasure).  I started with her Tall, Dark and Dangerous series (Think hot, hilarious SeALs) and moved on as she began the Troubleshooters. 

 

I began looking for read-alikes with NovelList Plus.  that brought me to Nora Roberts (as J.D. Robb), Linda Howard, Elizabeth Lowell, Fiona Brand and Matthew Reilly. (Amazingly enough I have read all of those authors except for the latter two. Plan to try them soon.)

 

Then I tried "What Should I Read Next," coming up with Julie Garwood, Genita Low, Johanna Lindsey (surprisingly), Rachel Lee, Jessica Hall, Julia Quinn, Sandra Brown, Elizabeth Thornton, Susan Carroll and Kathleen Eagle.  (I think this was too generic. Some of the ladies on this list write in a romance subgenre that I do not particularly favor.  There are some exceptions, but very few.)

 

Lastly I tried "If You Like (but which one?)" through the Library Booklists and Bibliographies link,  which gave me Susan Andersen, Fiona Brand, Beverly Barton, Justine Davis, Dee Henderson (I loved the O'Malley series), Linda Howard, Merline Lovelace, Lindsey McKenna, JD Robb and Kathryn Shay (Loved her series, too.)  

 

So there were overlaps in a couple of searches, but not so many in others.  I have found a few names that I can't wait to try as soon as my current stack of books has dwindled.

 

Exercise 2--- I went through Library Booklist and Bibliogrpahies to Children to Nature, Weather and Environment to Bibliogrpahy: The Real World to find Fce to Face with Lions by Beverly and Dereck Joubert, and An American Safari by Jim Brandebourg.

 

For her brother I used Novelist Plus, to locate tow titles, Ghost, Spooks and Spectres by Charles Molin and Dead Man's Gold and Other Stories by Paul Yee.

 

Exercise 3---I used NoveList Plus and came up with Greg Bear, John Sual and Dan Simmons.  I also used Library and Booklists "Monsters and Maniacs" and got Ramsey Campbell, Stephen Dobyns and Whitley Streiber.

 

Exercise 4--- The series she is reading is called "Song of The Lioness."

Alanna: The First Adventure is the first, In the Hands of the Goddess is the second, The Woman who Ride like a Man is the third, and The Lioness Rampant wraps it up as the fourth title in the series.  I used NoveLIst Plus to gather this information.

No comments: