Monday, July 20, 2009

Crafts & Hobbies #62: Decoupage

I have actually decoupaged before and I was really nervous about it. It all began with a garage sale. My Aunt Janet, the garage sale queen, had recently found a small white table with a little bit of water damage on the corner. One edge had begun to layer and rise and thus warped the lines of the table. "That'll never sell," I thought. I had once picked up an apothecary end table that had had a little water damage on the top that I had camo'ed with a sponged layer of hunter green paint. I thought that I might be able to do the same thing with this table so I took it home with me. I bought some scrapbooking paper with those gaudy overblown pink shabby chic roses on it and a pink and white check ribbon about an inch and a quarter wide. I decoupaged the top of the table with the paper. (I don't mind saying that if you look really closely, you can see one spot where I had a little trouble. It was my first attempt after all.) I sprayed it with lacquer once the modgepodge dried so that it would be a little more protected. Finally, I hot glued the ribbon around the edge of the table to disguise the layered corner.

I like decoupage because you can apply it just about anything, with just about anything. I haven't found my next project yet, but I do have some modgepodge left over, so anything's still fair game.

No comments: